Marble Cave, Chatyr-Dag – Crimea
The Marble Cave is the main attraction of Chatyr-Dag Mountain. The cave is located on the lower plateau of the massif. It is part of a complex of 3 equipped caves on Chatyr-Dag. The Marble Cave in Crimea is considered one of the most beautiful in the world.
Marble Cave – underground fairy tale
The Marble Cave at Chatyr-Dag was discovered in 1987. After 2 years, it was opened to tourists. The story of the discovery of the cave is unlike the traditional tales of speleological expeditions. A shepherd who was looking for a lost sheep on the slopes discovered the cave, which was then called “Afghan woman”. Although its official opening is considered to be an expedition of Simferopol cavers.
The name “Marble” cave got when it was established that about 90% of its surface is marbled limestone. The entrance to it is located at an altitude of 920 meters. The cave arose millions of years ago due to the erosion of rocks.
Marble Cave (Crimea): excursion halls
The Marble Cave in Crimea consists of several halls located at different levels. The upper level includes the following rooms:
- Gallery of fairy tales – the beginning of all routes. Here are located the Master of the Cave, Santa Claus, Elephant, Mammoth and even the Frog Princess, frozen in stone.
- The tiger course is a side branch of the cave, 400 meters long. It was opened in 1990 and named after the remains of an animal mistaken for a saber-toothed tiger. Then it turned out that it was just a cave lion, but the name was left the same. The decoration of the Tiger Run is more beautiful than the rest.
- Reconstruction hall, 150 meters long, the hallmark of which is the Minaret. Also here you can find stalagmites Zombie and Dragon.
- The palace hall, where the figures of the king and queen are located. This is the last excursion hall in this part of the cave.
- The clay hall, which is not included in the excursion route.
Returning back to the Gallery of Fairy Tales, you can get to the lower level, where the following halls are located, which have become excursion rooms since 2006:
- Hall of Hopes;
- Hall of Vernadsky;
The following halls on the ground floor are not yet accessible to tourists: a chocolate hall, a balcony hall, and a helix hall. The total length of the cave is 2 km, and the depth of the passages is 80 meters. Most of the cave is part of the tourist routes, which is not in the Red Caves , where only a small part of the underworld is accessible for inspection.
The Marble Cave in Crimea: how to get there You can get here on foot: from Perevalnoye along the Ishachya path or through the village of Mramornoye. You can get here by sightseeing bus or car. To do this, turn from the Simferopol – Alushta highway to Zarechny following the sign to the village of Mramornoye (regular buses go here). And from there 8 km along the village road to the lower plateau. There is a parking lot and asphalt near the cave, but the country road is clearly not for sedans. Nearby is the Emine-Bair-Khosar and Emine-Bair-Koba complex.